Miltonduff 21 year (07.02.1995/22.02.2016) 45.8% Bottle 169
- Nose – Lovely almond nutty quality, creamy nougat, then a light tobacco chew, a dash of spice and a slightly woodsy element
- Palate – Much more substance than the other whiskies sampled in the flight – dark dry fruits, chocolate, toffee, well balanced
- Finish – Yum! With a shifting character between sweet caramel to tobacco then chocolate… Fabulous!
What can I say? I really wish I had more than the mini pour! It was delicious – the kind of whisky that makes you want to sit back, relax and enjoy, slowly sipping and savouring. There is substance, well rounded and while not heavy, there is more than enough going on to keep you interested.
For my sampling companion, there was zero doubt this was the ONLY whisky of the quartet to his palate preferences.
Here’s what the folks over at The Single Cask have to say about this Miltonduff (SG$404.60):
Founded in 1824 and also currently owned and operated by Pernod Ricard, Miltoduff is one of the signature whiskies alongside Glentauchers which plays and important part in shaping the character of the Ballantine’s brand of blended Scotch whisky. The whisky from Miltonduff is also used in the Chivas Regal range.
- Nose: The most mature of the four. Spicy, dark and woody. A very inviting nose redolent with toffee, glazed red fruit and a touch of cocoa. Charcoal and tannins, a tin of furniture wax.
- Palate: Lots of thick caramel and red cherries. The dark and spicy theme continues. Rye bread, more char and deeply polished wood. Good mouthfeel.
- Finish: Luxuriant and rich. Almost a light dessert in itself.
Would I agree? Most certainly!
- Welcome to Ballantine’s Signature Distillery Collection 17 year
- Ballatines’s 17 year – Glentauchers 40%
- Ballantine’s 17 year – Miltonduff 40%
- Ballantine’s 17 year – Glenburgie 40%
- Ballantine’s 17 year – Scapa 40%
Sampled as part of a whisky flight at The Single Cask together with:
- Deanston 15 years (1997/2013) Cask No 1958 45.8% (TSC)
- Glen Moray 21 year (1991/2013) Cask No 9980 46% (Douglas)
- Glentauchers 18 years (1996/2014) 2 casks 46% (Carn Mor)
You can also find Whisky Lady in India on: