I first flirted with Glentauchers as part of a set of 17 year old Ballantine‘s blends ‘featuring’ variations that focused on exploring the component distilleries. While an interesting experiment, nothing substitutes for experiencing a whisky in its single malt avatar.
Given nearly all Glentauchers goes into blends – primarily Ballantine’s and Teachers – this isn’t so easy to accomplish.
So I was particularly pleased to have a chance to try a Carn Mor bottle at The Single Cask.
Glentauchers 18 years (1996/2014) 2 casks 46% 443 bottles
- Nose – Cereals with lightly toasted seeds, apple sauce, quite sweet with a hint of very faint jasmine
- Palate – This is where more character reveals itself, almost reminded me of a lemon barley squash, gentle malt, sweet and fruity, with a hint of toasted nuts and something else elusive I couldn’t quite catch!
- Finish – Retrained and gentile, quite lovely
Overall it is exceedingly easy to drink, smooth, approachable, entirely civilized though not terribly distinctive… In short quite ‘likeable’ and one for folks enjoy a lightly fruity whisky. Though restrained, the finish was truly quite enjoyable… nuanced yet very much present.
Here is what The Single Cask folks have to say about this Glentauchers (SG$198.80):
This is a sweet easy, fruity Speysider!
- Nose has sugar, sweets, overripe apples and maybe whiffs of flowers.
- Taste is sweet and green apples, lemon drops, sweet barley, tinned pineapples, maple syrup.
- Finish is nice, with a little more caramel
Reading their description after sampling the whisky, I would overall quite agree!
- Welcome to Ballantine’s Signature Distillery Collection 17 year
- Ballatines’s 17 year – Glentauchers 40%
- Ballantine’s 17 year – Miltonduff 40%
- Ballantine’s 17 year – Glenburgie 40%
- Ballantine’s 17 year – Scapa 40%
This whisky was sampled as part of a whisky flight at The Single Cask together with:
- Deanston 15 years (1997/2013) Cask No 1958 45.8%
- Glen Moray 21 year (1991/2013) Cask No 9980 46%
- Miltonduff 21 year (1995/2016) 45.8%
You can also find Whisky Lady in India on: