Next up in our miniatures sampling was a duo from Gordon & MacPhail from their Connoisseurs Choice line.
From the Speyside region, Glen Keith was founded in 1959 by the Chivas Brothers near their Strathisla distillery. At the time, their gas fired stills was a novelty. It was mothballed in 1999, sold to Pernod Ricard in 2001 and re-opened in 2013 with completely new wash backs, new still and more.
Primarily used in Chivas blends such as Chivas Regal, Passport and 100 pipers, official bottlings are near impossible to find. And none from the revamped distillery have been officially released.
We tried a Gordon & MacPhail bottling of approximately 17 years.
Glen Keith (1993/2011) 46% (Gordon & MacPhail)
- Nose – Quite restrained, organic fruits, subtle yet very malty, yeasty, like wet dough or moist unbaked cake, a bit of pine cone, damp good, humid, with absolutely no hint of spice
- Palate – Dried orange rind, potpourri, beautiful round spice, like an old fashioned orange with cloves, black peppercorn
- Finish – Initially sweet then spice then bitter
Overall, there was a muted quality to this whisky. Yet a nice contrast between zero spice on the nose and then a nice round spice on the palate.
It really had the most unbelievable moistness – like a greenhouse in a glass. We even covered the glass and it swirled with moisture.
This was an unpredictable date – flirtatious, changing its mind yet maintaining its coquetish quality.
Here’s what the Gordon & MacPhail folks have to say:
- Aroma -Fresh fruit aromas – apples, bananas and grape must. A sweet floral hint – bubblegum. Some chocolate and vanilla notes also present.
- Taste – Peppery notes again with floral herbal flavours. Slightly drying with wood elements present.
- Aroma – More aromatic with malt and cereal elements. Some more floral aromas remain with a subtle sweetness.
- Taste – Peppery amd spicy initially followed by a sweet, slightly fruity element. Hints of cedar wood.
More malt miniatures:
- Glencadam 15 year 46%
- Auchroisk (1996/2014) 46% (Gordon & MacPhail)
- Longrow Peated NAS 46%
- Wemyss Peat Chimney 12 year 40%
- The Arran 14 year 46%
You can also find Whisky Lady in India on: