Next up in our miniatures tasting session was a Highland Park…
The MacPhail’s Collection is a small range of single malt whiskies bottled by Gordon & MacPhail.
The focus of this collection is the quest for younger, quality drams at affordable prices. You won’t find a rich mature complex aged marvel here, instead a younger, better than decent dram for a reasonable cost.
MacPhail’s Orkney 8 year 43% (Highland Park)
- Nose – Banana, apricot, lemon zest, butter toast with sugar sprinkles, woodsy, vanilla, citrus soft, wet cloth with a bit of brine
- Palate – Peat, malty cereal, a little pepper spice, smooth
- Finish – Enjoyable finish, like a puff of smoke then dry, bitter ending sweet
Overall a drinkable dram… much more so than the Highland Park 1998. Light balance between sweet and smoke, coming together so smoothly.
Here are the official tasting notes:
- Nose: Soft fruits – peaches/mangos, heather/earthy notes and a touch of saltiness.
With Water: Fruity (green apples), subtle sherry influence and touch of floral.
- Palate: Rich, mulled fruits with a touch of smokiness.
With Water: Sherry wood with smoky notes (charred oak). A vanilla sweetness emerges
- Finish: Long with a delicate sweetness.
Check out what other’s have to say too:
Other miniatures sampled recently include:
- TWE Covent Garden Reserve Edition No 1 – Speyside 10 year, Sherry Butt, Bottle No 240, 51.6%
- TWE Covent Garden Reserve Edition No 2 – Islay NAS, Hogshead Cask, Bottle No 288, 55.2%
- Tomatin Legacy 43%
- Tomintoul 10, 16, 27 year 40%
You can also find Whisky Lady (in India) on:
- FaceBook Whisky Lady in India – https://www.facebook.com/WhiskyLadyIN
- Twitter @WhiskyLadyIN