First up in our August miniatures exploration was a no age statement whisky from Tomatin.
The Tomatin Legacy expression is dedicated to the legacy of the distillery’s relationship with its community, as the village became a town when accommodating the workers required to build the distillery… and remains today.
Tomatin Legacy 43%
- Nose – Quite a kick with bit of varnish, bananas, sweetness creeping into dry wood, light peat? some resin, sweet sour overripe fruit, a vegetal element
- Palate – While bold it also is curiously ‘thin’, bitter sour khata then caramel sweet
- Finish – Initial burn then just sits there with subtle dry ash, bitter
Overall left impression of sticky toffee pudding.
We then compared the Legacy with a sample of Tomatin 12 year.
Here’s what the folks over at Tomatin have to say:
Time in Bourbon barrels and Virgin Oak casks brings a light sweetness to The Tomatin Legacy, which boasts aromas of vanilla, marshmallow, pineapple and lemon. On the palate gentle flavours of candy, pine, lemon sherbet, apples and sponge cake emerge ahead of a light, clean finish.
Jim Murray’s Whisky Bible 2015 – 94.5/100
BTW… if you are in the US, just substitute “Dualchas” for “Tomatin”
Here’s what others have to say:
Other miniatures sampled recently include:
- TWE Covent Garden Reserve Edition No 1 – Speyside 10 year, Sherry Butt, Bottle No 240, 51.6%
- TWE Covent Garden Reserve Edition No 2 – Islay NAS, Hogshead Cask, Bottle No 288, 55.2%
- MacPhail’s Collection Orkney 8 year 43% (Highland Park)
- Tomintoul 10, 16, 27 year 40%
You can also find Whisky Lady in India on:
- Facebook Whisky Lady in India – https://www.facebook.com/WhiskyLadyIN
- Twitter @WhiskyLadyIN
I notice that Tomatin have repackaged their range including the Legacy and I’m loving the new bottle shape. I’d buy one just for that! 🙂 I’ve tried the Legacy several times and quite liked it. Not as much as Jim Murray but it’s probably one of the best whiskies in its price range. Overall did you like it? It doesn’t sound like you did from the tasting notes (thin and bitter?).
LikeLiked by 1 person
I don’t know what it is about Tomatin… I want to like it but for some reason just doesn’t do it for me… either Legacy or Tomatin 12 year.