Next up with Karen Walker, Global Marketing Head for Scottish Brands of InterBeverage Group was the delightful Balblair 03.
Karen set the tone by taking us on a trip to the early days of the whisky industry, proudly sharing Balblair has been distilling legally since 1790… though no doubt drunk before the first official ledger entries!
Conversation turned to comments about the whiskies ‘thick legs’… to which Karen shared it is all about the viscosity. To which immediately there was the quip “Wouldn’t say that word after four of these!”
Balblair 03 aka 12 year 46%
Here’s what the whisky said to our whisky women:
- Nose – There is a freshness, apples, sweet, heady, fruity. After airing a few vanilla notes emerge
- Taste – Caramel apples, sticky apricot, a bit spiced, toasty, good mouth-feel, as it opens a little earthy element peaks out, smooth and easy.
- Finish – Spicy finish, star anise, very smooth going down and curls with light smoke
Karen shared how the pale natural colour of Balblair has caused a marketing quandary. A certain country in Europe and well known retailer that shall remain nameless, called to say there was something ‘defective’ or ‘off’ about the entire Balblair shipment. Why? It wasn’t the ‘right’ colour. And consumers would not buy it. Hmm…
The Balblair was sampled after the refreshing Caorunn Gin and before:
- Speyburn 10 year aka Whisky Ladies gain distillery fashion footwear advice
- Old Pulteney 12 year aka Whisky Ladies wonder what Prince Charles wears beneath his kilt!
- AnCnoc 12 and 22 year aka Whisky Ladies get playful
What others say about Balblair 03:
- Whisky Gospel – with a tour of the distillery too
- Miss Whisky – on trying the 03, 90 and 69 with the distillery manager John MacDonald
You can also find Whisky Lady in India on:
- Facebook Whisky Lady in India – https://www.facebook.com/WhiskyLadyIN
- Twitter @WhiskyLadyIN