We’ve enjoyed several very special whiskies from this range! Including those we tried in London Oct 2022…
Old Pulteney 23 year (2008/ 28 Apr 2022) Refill Bourbon Barrel Cask No. 17603801 56.6% (G&MP Connoisseurs Choice) Batch 22/101, 243 Bottles
- Colour – Amber
- Nose – Joy in a glass! Lovely citrus, honey then coconut, chocolate… shifting into apple sauce
- Palate – Creamy, full, and luscious. Simply gorgeous
- Finish – Heavy finish, sweet and lightly spicy
- Water – Amps up the tropical elements like caramelized bananas
It was endlessly complex… absolutely fabulous! Let’s just say, it was everything I appreciate in Old Pulteney, even more exquisite.
Our fabulous guide shared a refilled Hogshead, retailing for approx GBP 200. As for the official tasting notes? The label shares the following:
Grapefruit and lemon aromas give way to baked apples and freshly cut grass. Honey and banana flavours are balanced by cracked black pepper. A full finish with mixed nuts.
Would I agree? Absolutely!
Tormore 29 year (1993/ 30 May 2022) 1st fill Sherry Butt Cask 5053 54.5%(G&MP Connoisseurs Choice) Batch 22/109, 554 bottles
- Colour – Rich dark burgundy
- Nose – Oh wow! No question this Tormore was matured in an ex-sherry cask. Incredibly intense, rich marmalade, with a berry punch,
- Palate – A proper, mature sherry, dark fruits, rich chocolate
- Finish – Candied dried fruit, a dash of cinnamon, heavy, burnt molasses
This is the kind of dram that makes you want to slow down and savour… preferably while lounging on a comfy sofa, curled up with a cosy throw, a good book… and all the time in the world to simply enjoy.
Even after the glass was empty, it left such a beautiful aroma… it was a shame to have such a special whisky in the hustle and bustle of a whisky festival.
What about the official tasting notes? Here is what they have to say:
- Nose – Stewed RED BERRIES complement VANILLA POD and subtle COCOA POWDER. MEDJOOL DATES give way to DARK TREACLE and notes of soft ANISEED.
- Taste – BAKED APPLE intertwines with CINNAMON and GINGER SPICE. DARK CHOCOLATE leads to subtle CITRUS FRUIT and CHARRED OAK.
- Finish – Full with lingering SUMMER BERRIES and soft HERBAL notes.
What did we try next? A pair from the rather remarkable and very rare Private Collection range!!
Curious about some earlier Connoisseurs Choice explorations? Here are a few favourites!
- Aultmore (2000/2014) 46% – Fruity, herbal delight
- Glendullan (2001/2014) 46% – Wild honey flower
- Inchgower 13 year (2005/2018) 55.1% – Yummy kaya toast
- Mannochmore 18 year (1999/2018) 46% – Sherry deliciousness
- Caol Ila 33 year (1984 / 2018) 52.8% – Beautifully aged
If you don’t want to miss a post, why not follow Whisky Lady on: