Nothing like tasting blind to set aside preconceived notions… particularly when it comes to well-known blends…
A version of this blend has been around since 1896 with the “Famous Grouse” name remaining consistent since 1905. Considered a top-selling whisky brand in the UK, I have to confess that I don’t recall ever having tried The Famous Grouse before.
What did we think?
Famous Grouse 40%
- Colour – Bright gold
- Nose – Raisins, sherry influence, oily and heavy, overripe fruits, wet mop and phenol, island influence, bit of brine, fermented bread, light iodine, wet leaves,
- Palate – Smooth on the palate, gentle, watery softness, honey-sweet, nice mouthfeel, reminded a bit of mead
- Finish – Soft white pepper, long, sherry element with juicy whisky soaked raisins
Nothing hugely distinctive or complex, but there were still some nice elements. However they were a bit curious – on the one hand, there was a briney Island style and on the other hand, a more traditional sherry dram.
We speculated this may be Scottish but beyond that? We had no clue!
Turns out this was the real “googly” in the mix for the evening. The other three were deliberately Scottish ‘adjacent’ whereas just for kicks, our whisky host decided to bring into our evening something we would not have expected!
With the reveal?
It all made sense – why there was a duality of character, why it came across as Scottish but not distinctively this or that. The Famous Grouse is known to use both Highland Park and Macallan – which certainly helped explain what we found!
As for the official notes?
- Appearance: Full golden, clear and bright
- Aromas: Candied fruits, buttery shortbread, citrus peel
- Taste: Dried fruit, soft spices (cinnamon/ginger), hint of oak
- Finish: Smooth, well balanced
Interesting to try and why I enjoy blind tastings! Here is what else we tried that evening:
If you don’t want to miss a post, why not follow Whisky Lady on:
- WordPress https://whiskylady.co/
- FaceBook Whisky Lady India – https://www.facebook.com/WhiskyLadyIN
- Twitter @WhiskyLadyIN