Once upon a time in Mumbai, a lass with four merry gents used to regularly gather together to explore whiskies, relax puffing cigars, exchanging witty remarks, tending to close the evening with most enjoyable repasts….
We are now scattered across four countries and in COVID conditions, the chances of meeting in person are slim. So we’ve made do with the rare combination of partly in-person and partly virtual…
Somehow at the start of 2022, we managed to kick off with nearly all of us together! Beginning with a set that our whisky host had saved and ready since 2019!
The theme was simple – explore English / Welsh whiskies – adjacent to Scotland…. but then he threw in a ‘googly’ with a well-known Scottish blend just to challenge us. All four whiskies were tasted blind before the reveal.
So…. what did we try?
This Scottish Single Malt ‘adjacent’ theme featured:
- The English “Original” 43% – Scottish? No… however not entirely sure what to make of this one… ex-bourbon and unpeated
- The Famous Grouse 40% – the Scottish blend “googly” thrown into the mix to make things a wee bit more challenging!
- Cotswold Signature Single Malet (0006/2018) 46% – An amiable dram – my personal favorite that evening
- Penderyn Madeira 46% – Surprising… we thought we knew this whisky? Apparently not!
It was a good mix of introduction and re-introduction, wrapped up in a blind package one fine January evening in Mumbai.
If you don’t want to miss a post, why not follow Whisky Lady on:
- WordPress https://whiskylady.co/
- FaceBook Whisky Lady India – https://www.facebook.com/WhiskyLadyIN
- Twitter @WhiskyLadyIN