Our absolute favourite from Maison Benjamin Kuentz is their Aveux Gourmands – launched late 2020.
Aveux Gourmands 46% (Maison Benjamin Kuentz)
- Colour – Light straw
- Nose – Mmmm….. bubblegum, toffee, salty caramel, a nice nuttiness with roasted hazelnut, fudge… then all combining together in an indulgent salty caramel hazelnut chocolate fudge… as it opened up further came a caramelized banana, pineapple upside down cake, buttery brioche, strawberries and cherries
- Palate – Buttery salty toffee, spice, fudge, more of that buttery brioche,
- Finish – Nutty fudge, salted butter toast
Pure decadence! We loved this one! Aromas were yum! A melt in your mouth fudge on the palate, rewarding finish… In short it was luxury… like an indulgent incredibly high calorie desert that you just – must – have!
And what happened when we added water? Just dampened everything – it simply wasn’t the same. And who wants decadence diminished?
And with the glass we left ‘as is’? We let it rest for some time and returned to be rewarded by salty buttery toffee fudge desert in a glass! Who could resist?
Zero doubt this was our favourite of the evening!
What else do we know?
It is aged between in ex Sauternes Grand Cru barrels from Chateau Rayne Vigneau, Bretagne.
The team kindly provided us with further details… Please excuse the rough translation from French:
Gourmet, exotic, salty
Like a confession that you will remember at the tip of your tongue. This whisky is the admission of a small sin of taste. Gourmet on the nose with this mishmash of hazelnuts, honey and cooked fruits. The balance is even more succulent… the fullness of this single malt gently delivers its exotic bouquet. This is perfectly balanced by the salinity of a Breton brandy… making a delicacy that we never tire of. Simple pleasure, sweet complexity. Quiet.
Notes de dégustation
- Nez – Gourmand, notes de noisettes, de miel et de fruits cuits
- Bouche – Ample, ronde, saline, notes de noix de coco, d’ananas et de caramel au beurre salé
- Finale – Amande et noisettes, notes de miel se dissipant sur l’équilibre salin final
- Pairing suggestions – Gâteau praliné, beurre de cacahuète, carpaccio d’ananas et coco séchée, que de la gourmandise pour un moment d’exception.
If you don’t want to miss a post, why not follow Whisky Lady on: