Next up… another from the US in my Vita Dulcis 2020 International Advent Calendar… And I’m in the home stretch with just a few more to go!
USA – Knob Creek Straight Rye Whiskey 50%
- Nose – Sweet grains, then sour mash, herbal, ginger
- Palate – Yup! There is that distinctive rye spice! Packs a bit of a whallop… then settles down, brown sugar
- Finish – A bit of pepper
To me, this is a clear rye.
I admit, I sampled it on two occasions – once on its own and I realized I simply wasn’t in the mood, so set it aside after a sip. And again this evening after sampling Heaven’s Door Straight Rye Whiskey.
When you think of a classic American rye… it is something like Knob Creek. At first it comes across as direct, no finesse… yes it isn’t just rye spice, there are herbs, wood elements and other things… that start to grow on you…
Distillery official tasting notes?
- Colour : Shades of gold to light amber.
- Nose : Expansive notes of herbs and rye with nuances of oak.
- Taste : Bold rye spiciness with undertones of vanilla and oak.
If you don’t want to miss a post, why not follow Whisky Lady on: