Another from the archives… the most fabulous weekend getaway to Goa with a couple of the Mumbai Whisky Ladies in August 2019. After a fascinating tour of Paul John distillery, we sat down for a tasting. Yes the standards were there but Michael had a few samples of some very special bottles also available for us to explore…. And wow! There definitely were a few we thoroughly enjoyed.
Then we graduated to some special expressions…..
PX Cask Strength
- Nose – Quite an intriguing aroma – subtle yet distinctive with cherries and berries – particularly lingonberry, a nice tartness too
- Palate – Very smooth, follows through from the nose yet even sweeter
- Finish – Clear PX stamp
Overall we found that every element is in harmony with this one.
Oloroso Cask Strength
- Nose – Initially vegetale, reminding us of the ground beneath foliage, shitake mushrooms, that umami element, then coming up from behind came aromas of plums, dates. After the 1st sip, the Oloroso sherry elements shone through more clearly – sweeter, plum pudding and vanilla icing
- Palate – Started a bit bitter but quite interesting, oily, wood, dates, a kind of density and depth which was distinctive
- Finish – Wow! Quite different from the palate, very long
With this one, we found it needed more time to open up. There was something almost ‘funky’ initially – like a hobbit whispering tall tales in your ear. However overall grew into a colourful character – a strong, bold, dynamic whisky.
XO Grape Brandy 48?%
- Nose – Different from a traditional cognac… almost more like a spiced rum, lots going on, quite active, heady, apple cinnamon spice yet sophisticated
- Palate – Intense
- Water – Opens it up considerably, sweeter, fruitier and much smoother
Approx 9 years and expected to retail for approx. INR 12k. Great peacock packaging.
Mars Orbiter 57.8%
Like a mythical creature, this one came and went from global shelves in a blink of an eye! So too was our tasting, just a drop at the close of a remarkable Paul John session… we were left with the impressions of sweet aromas, a bright explosion on the palate, leaving tasty raisins and sweet spices in the finish.
Interested in receiving more Whisky Lady posts? Why not follow on: