We closed with a Compass Box blend created specifically for La Maison du Whisky – something to capture an easy drinking experience like having a chilled glass of white wine with dinner.
Naturally our host followed the serving suggested serving instructions to chill the bottle… first in the fridge and then a bit of time in the freezer to ensure the whisky was properly cooled before sampling.
And then we sampled blind before the reveal…
Whisky de Table 40%
- Colour – More like a pale white wine than whisky
- Nose – Intense bubblegum fruit, dates, raisins, strawberry confectionary, lots of musk melon… the after the 1st sip, rose, wine fruit and sweet
- Palate – Wow! The peat was so pronounced! Then it settled into a lovely honey – a balance of peat and sweet in perfect harmony.
- Finish – Pure peat
It was such a contrast between the aromas and palate. Yet still such a people pleaser – easy to settle back and quaff.
What do the folks at Compass Box have to say? We suspect we tried the 2017 Whisky de Table No. 2:
The second edition of our Scotch whisky made to be shared and enjoyed like a traditional Vin de Table. The effusive distillery characters leap from the glass, unobscured by the heavier effects of maturation, providing a drink that is full of energy, versatile and beguiling. Serve chilled straight from the fridge like you would a white wine. This batch was made for the French market and released exclusively through La Maison du Whisky.
I found it quite different than my experience with the 1st edition. In case you are curious? Here are notes from my earlier brushes with this whisky:
- 2017 – Whisky de Table – just a teaser
- 2018 – Whisky de Table – proper tasting
Before Whisky de Table we tried :
- Hedonism Quindecimus 46% – Opened in advance, giving it time to open up
- The Double Single 46% – Served ‘as is’, from a freshly opened bottle at room temperature
Interested in catching more? Why not follow Whisky Lady on:
- WordPress https://whiskylady.co/
- FaceBook Whisky Lady in India – https://www.facebook.com/WhiskyLadyIN
- Twitter @WhiskyLadyIN