Consider what you get mixing together a single malt with a single of grain? Well… if you have the exceptional blending prowess of the team at Compass Box, you would bring to the world of whisky The Double Single.
We sampled completely blind… served from a freshly opened bottle at room temperature. What did we think?
The Double Single 40%
- Nose – Quite a contrast – very fruity and nuts, red plums, red berries, star anise, sour berry pulao, starch, tangy, even a bit of lavender, leafy, something beyond grape but not yet a raisin… all before the 1st sip!
- After 1st sip – sweet lime, slightly funky wood, grape kool-aid…
- After more time shifted into stewed apples
- Palate – A lovely chilli spice and more, cloves, peppers, quite robust with loads of personality and a citrus twist
- Finish – Smoke and wood char, spice… long and lingering
While there was absolutely no need to add water… we did… simply curious. And…? The water did wonders!
- Nose – Fruit and vanilla cream, oranges, yum!
- Palate – A lovely meetha paan, all flavours sharpen, cutting the spice a tad, enabling a whole kaleidoscope of flavours to emerge, particularly aniseed
- Finish – Still long and lingering with a light spice, aniseed remains
Above all, we were impressed by the incredible balance between the different elements.
For those of us who have had The Double Single before, it didn’t disappoint. For those who hadn’t, just another reminder that Compass Box knows their stuff.
Curious what the folks at Compass Box have to say? Just check out what we thought when sampled early 2018 The Double Single.
Our latest Compass Box trio evening also included:
- Hedonism Quindecimus 46% – Blended grain… Opened in advance, giving it time to open up
- Whisky de Table 40% – Chilled to perfection
Interested in catching more? Why not follow Whisky Lady on:
- WordPress https://whiskylady.co/
- FaceBook Whisky Lady in India – https://www.facebook.com/WhiskyLadyIN
- Twitter @WhiskyLadyIN
Great to read that you all enjoyed The Double Single. I absolutely love it! When it was released, I did an interview with whisky maker Jill Boyd on my blog. And a while later, I also wrote a review for it.
How cool is that!
LikeLiked by 1 person