We are no stranger to Midleton’s pot still Redbreast, however our host was determined to add a “twist” by tracking down a special edition – in this case one which features the influence of finishing in 1st fill Oloroso sherry butts for a year.
So what did we think?
Redbreast Lustau Edition 46%
- Nose – A robust start then settled down, light greed wood, creamy, loads of dried prunes, brandy butter almond, sherry rich, even marshmallows, that old style home-made sweet syrupy orange cordial, very sweet, tobacco leaves, lemon barley squash, sugar cane citrus… then after sipping more of the woods and leaves came to the fore, still retaining a lovely sweet edge
- Taste – Lots of fruits, wood and sweet tobacco
- Finish – Spice that creeps up and gives a good wake-up, really quite good – long strong with a distinctive clove studded orange, in subsequent sips had a delightful lasting quality
It had a youthful ‘vigour’ about it, tempered by the sherry richness that made for a rather good counterpoint.
Even after setting aside and revisiting – this one remained interesting. Losing some of the extra saccharin sweetness replaced with nice fruity sweet spices, some oils, wet leaves with a solid sherry quality that remained.
The triple “prunes” quality paired fabulously well with cigars… which naturally meant the evening shifted to quaffing this dram above the others.
What do the folks behind Redbreast have to say?
The newest addition to the Redbreast family, Redbreast Sherry Finish Lustau Edition offers fans a new way to experience our signature sherry taste, thanks to an old friendship. Born of a unique collaboration between the Bodegas Lustau and the Midleton Distillery, Redbreast Sherry Finish Lustau Edition is initially matured in traditional bourbon and sherry casks for a period of 9-12 years. It is then finished for 1 additional year in first fill hand selected sherry butts that have been seasoned with the finest Oloroso sherry from the prestigious Bodegas Lustau in Jerez. We are confident Redbreast fans will enjoy this new angle on Redbreast’s beloved sherry character.
- Nose: Rich infusion of dark fruits, prunes, dates and figs with liquorice, marzipan, toasted oak and Redbreast spices.
- Taste: Creamy pot still with Redbreast spices balanced with richness of sherry finish and contribution of fresh Spanish oak.
- Finish: Endless. Sweetness and pot-still spices endure while oloroso sherry and Spanish oak have the last word.
As for cost, a most reasonable £48 at The Whisky Exchange – pas mal.
Here is what else we played with during our latest greatest Irish whiskey evening:
- Dingle Triple Distilled Batch 3 46.5%
- Method and Madness Irish Single Pot Still Whiskey 40%
- Green Spot Chateau Leoville Barton Bordeaux Finish 46%
Want even more Whisky Lady posts? Follow this blog on: