We kicked off exploring the full range of the new La Maison du Whisky Artist #8 with a non-Sherry Benrinnes.
Benrinnes 20 year (1995/2018) Hogshead Cask #9063 49.4% (279 bottles)
- Nose – Started a bit dusty, light fruit, mild and subdued… then started to evolve… even more pronounced fruits, vanilla sponge cake, sweet dry grass
- Palate – Again soft and mild, gently sweet and exceedingly easy to sip, slightly “rusty”, then a bit spicy
- Finish – Lightly bitter and nutty, sweet, spice and a bit metallic
Much more enjoyable and interesting than my previous encounter. When I later read the tasting notes, thought they were rather apt!
As for what it would set you back? SGD395.
And what do the folks at La Maison du Whisky have to say?
- Nose – Refined, complex. At first, the aromatic palette is covered in a thin layer of arnica and peppermint aromas. Then, everything shatters, ceding to notes of green malt, cut hay and incredibly juicy fruits (white grape, canary melon, Louis bonne pepper). The longer it is left to breathe, the more concentrated it becomes. Vanilla pod and acacia honey bring lots of consistency.
- Palate – Elegant, rich. On the attack, the vanilla pod has developed into a creamy custard and numerous aromatic plants (verbena, sage, rosemary), highlighting its pleasant freshness. The mid-palate is characterized by notes of polish (beeswax, emery cloth) and honey (still acacia). The spicy (grated ginger, cinnamon) end of the palate struts its stuff.
- Finish – Long, airy. Green almond and fresh walnut appear alongside freshly cut hay. Then, unexpectedly and with originality, it develops notes of green olive and lime. The luscious (sorrel, lemon balm) retronasal olfaction is slightly peppery and sprinkled with a few grains of salt. The empty glass faithfully reproduces the medicinal notes of the initial nose, adding cocoa bean and praline.
—-From LMdW website transition from French.
La Maison du Whisky Artist #8 sans Sherry
- Glenturret 30 year (1987/2018) Hogshead Cask #371 55.3% (214 bottles)
- Bruichladdich 25 year (1993/2018) Hogshead Cask #1640 46.9%
- Caol Ila 15 year (2003/2018) Hogshead Cask #302465 54.2% (282 bottles)
- Ardmore 10 year (2008/2018) Cask #800168 60.3% (233 bottles)
Don’t want to miss Whisky Lady posts? Follow this blog on: