Sometimes it is nice to be reminded of how much you enjoy a particular distillery and its whiskies. We had just such an opportunity with our Scottish “classic” evening…
Naturally half the fun was tasting completely blind with the reveal only at the end. Here is what we found…
Old Pulteney 17 year 46%
- Colour – Copper
- Nose – Sweet perfume, floral, vanilla, a touch of salty brine, chocolate, butterscotch, so familiar and inviting, toffee, some gentle sherry influence. After the 1st sip we found marzipan, almonds, light sweet citrus like a lemon cake. As it opened even more, there was a hint of smoke. As we let it sit even longer, the citrus shifted into a lively orange peel oil.
- Palate – Soft sweet spice with some salt. A lovely complexity, sweet lime, lightly bitter with a subtle touch of tobacco leaf, a wisp or puff of smoke, so beautifully balance
- Finish – Ends on a sweet note, gentle spice, really quite beautiful, a bit of liquorice
- Water – Mellows it out… some preferred with and some without
We all really enjoyed this whisky and found it quite lovely, with a “feel good” character. While exceedingly easy to drink, it also had complexity and kept evolving. We all were confident that it must be Scottish and clearly well crafted. It also had all the hallmarks of an ex-Bourbon cask with a bit of ex-Sherry too.
A few of us kept remarking how there was something so completely familiar about it. We settled on Highland, one even mentioned Old Pulteney, another an old style Balvenie.
And our reaction to the reveal that it was an Old Pulteney 17 year?
Delight! An excellent reminder of how this whisky is simply one good dram.
Naturally this was one of many enjoyable evenings with Old Pulteney of which a few included:
- 12 year 40% + Revisit 2018
- 17 year 46%
- 21 year 46% + Whisky Ladies Revisit 2016
- Whisky Live Singapore 2016
Our original tasting group took an evening with a classic Scottish trio:
- Linkwood (1998/2012) Cask No 5014 Refill Sherry Hogshead 46% (Gordon & MacPhail)
- Old Pulteney 17 year 46% – A previous tasting
- Royal Brackla 21 year 40%
Don’t want to miss any Whisky Lady posts? Follow this blog on:
- WordPress https://whiskylady.co/
- FaceBook Whisky Lady in India – https://www.facebook.com/WhiskyLadyIN
- Twitter @WhiskyLadyIN