Glenmorangie is known for taking its typical highland of sweet honey, citrus and floral to play with different casks, particularly finishes, to create a different profile. The Duthac is one such variant – using a combination ex PX Sherry and Virgin Oak. Originally launched for travel retail, it was named after St Duthac who ‘rests’ near the distillery.
And what did the Whisky Ladies think?
Glenmorangie The Duthac 43%
- Nose – Grape, initially quite restrained then heavy caramel, some clove, sweet spices, vanilla.. after the 1st sip the aromas shifted to plum skin, apricots, butterscotch
- Palate – One remarked how it “crackled on the tongue” with the 1st sip then settled into a “typical” Glenmorangie – sweet, lightly fruity, honey, sweet spices with mild candied ginger
- Finish – Slightly bitter, sits there with a linear yet solid quality
- Water – Did absolutely nothing significant initially then a remarkable thing happened – the finish took on a distinctive watered down “Thumbs Up” (desi cola) taste!
Overall it was pronounced a terrific party whisky. After time, it settled into a yummy pudding pie or creme brûlée. Nothing exceptionally distinctive yet nothing challenging or off-putting. Nice, easy dram for more sociable occasions.
What do the folks at Glenmorangie have to say?
- Aroma: Seductive aromas of pear, toffee apple, Brazil nuts in toffee, with an underlying spicy note, some toasty oak. With a splash of water, some creamy vanilla fudge is encountered, along with the classic Sherry cask note of linseed oil.
- Taste: Mouth-filling flavours of milk chocolate, toffee, Brazil nuts, leather and some aniseed. The spiciness is definite, but gentle, with hints of ginger and clove.
- Finish: The aftertaste once again reminds drinkers that this is a Glenmorangie, with vanilla, apricots in cream and some almond marzipan.
What did the Whisky Ladies sample in our night of Highland Hijinks?
- Old Pulteney 12 year 40%
- Glenmorangie The Duthac 43%
- Aberfeldy 18 year 40%
- Compass Box Phenomenology 46% – Bonus dram!
Other Glenmorangie sampled over the years….
- The Original 10 year, 18 year, 25 year and Signet
- The Original 40% WL + Bacalta launch event
- 10 year (1995/2006) Cask 13038, Bottle 45, 59.3%
- 19 year 43%
- Bacalta 46%
- Lasanta 12 year 46%
- The Tayne 43%
You can also find Whisky Lady in India on: