My love affair with Shelter Point from Vancouver Island continues… courtesy of a fellow Canadian from British Columbia who picked this bottle up on a recent jaunt from Vancouver to Mumbai.
Here is what we thought…
Shelter Point Cask Strength 2017 Winter Release 57.2% (Bottle 594/1088)
- Nose – Lots of sweet cereals, heavy honey, toasted nuts, a bit of spicy chilli, honey comb, started to take on quite a fruity dimension – warm, ripe summer fruits, honey drizzled oats or barley, lightly floral shifting back into warm freshly baked pie
- Palate – Sooooooo good! A happy whisky with a nice kick… one that we were simply too busy enjoying to dissect the different elements of the palate… all I can recall is the lovely baked goods, light cinnamon, apples continued…
- Finish – Very long, a bit ‘tingly’ with a hint of sweet grass
- Water – You can, makes it even more “happy” yet it also isn’t needed either
It reminded us of a Canadian summer night – after the heat of the day, a slight drop in temperature, a light breeze, the smell of sunshine fading into sunset with warm grasses, fruits and a hint of honeyed flowers.
What I loved most is it had that “Let me wrap you up in a warm welcoming blanket” quality – just more pronounced with more kick and character than the standard Single Malt at 46%.
As always, the biggest problem with Shelter Point is it is simply far too inviting and has a dangerously bad habit of “disappearing” quickly in happy consumption!
I was curious to know more so wrote to the folks over at Shelter Point. Here is what distiller Leon Webb had to say:
Cask Strength 2017:
- Nose: An enticing aroma of candied sweets and creamy treats, lattice apple pie with vanilla custard and homemade ice cream, candy floss, praline chocolates, hazelnut and a hint of white pepper
- Palate: Sweet and juicy fruits, honey, pecan pie, brown sugar and cinnamon
- Finish: Rum raisins and sweet tobacco
Shelter Point Cask Strength Whisky 2017 Facts:
- Base: Two-row barley and rye
- Distillation: Small-batch, 2x distilled and non-chilled filtered
- Alcohol Content: Bottled at 57.2% Alc.Vol
- Bottle Size: 750ml
- Batch Size: 1088 bottles
- Packaging: Classic Tennessee-style bottle features Vinolok glass closure and original engraving of Shelter Point Farm created by renowned illustrator Steve Noble
Here are a few other Shelter Point’s sampled til date:
- Shelter Point Single Malt Whisky 46% (Batch 1, 2016)
- Shelter Point Single Malt Whisky 46% (Batch 2, 2017)
- Shelter Point Double Barrelled Single Malt 50%
- Shelter Point Barrel of Sunshine Liqueur 30%
You can also find Whisky Lady in India on: