Up next up in our peaty miniatures sampling was an opportunity to revisit Longrow from Campbeltown.
I will admit to a certain fondness for the lone Campbeltown distillery with their trio of styles:
- Springbank – Most enjoyable dram… including a remarkable 1996 sample
- Hazelburn – Their un-peated range. Had a most enjoyable evening with a Hazelburn 12 year. Still regret missing an opportunity to purchase their 8 year 1st bottling!
- Longrow – Their peatier range, once upon a time made an appearance in my whisky cabinet…
The miniature offered an opportunity to sample the NAS avatar simply called ‘Longrow Peated’.
Longrow Peated NAS 46%
- Nose – Peaty wet rag or wet dog, organic, earthy, spice. After tasting, the nose took on a slightly tart or sour dimension to the peat.
- Palate – A lovely tingly peat, viscous, spice peat, pepper, a quite mineral element, very tasty
- Finish – Peppery peat, delightful
Overall, we found it refreshing to side step sweet to just enjoy a nice peaty dram.
We also sampled it in the Norlan glass – fabulous! It brought out a lovely woodsy quality on the palate and really brought out the best of Longrow on the palate.
Here’s what the Springbank folks have to say:
Longrow Peated offers those who enjoy a heavily peated whisky the chance to enjoy a lingering smoky taste that travels through the senses like the smoke billows from a kiln.
- Nose: Very creamy, vanilla custard. The smoke develops and toasted marshmallows, herbs and rich fruits appear over time.
- Palate: Incredibly well balanced – rich and creamy with a slight medicinal hint. The smoke is always present and washes over the palate in waves.
- Finish: The gentle smoke lingers and lingers.
We sampled from a closed miniature in October 2017… a full bottle would set you back around $60.
And what else did we sample in our merry mini malts evening?
- Peat Chimney 40% (Wemyss)
- Big Peat 46% (Douglas Laing)
- BenRiach Quarter Cask 46%
- Ledaig 10 year 46.3%
And here’s more malt miniatures from my The Whisky Exchange:
- Auchroisk 1996/2014 46% (Gordon & MacPhail)
- Glencadam 15 year 46%
- Glen Keith 1993/2011 46% (Gordon & MacPhail)
- The Arran 14 year 46% – Still to sample!
You can also find Whisky Lady in India on:
- Facebook Whisky Lady in India – https://www.facebook.com/WhiskyLadyIN
- Twitter @WhiskyLadyIN