- Nose: Citrus, lemon/lime hit which quickly faded into some mild honey followed by some baked/toasted cereal grain notes – think Marie biscuit. Then suddenly it turned solventy. The nose kept changing rapidly. Some odd notes of pressure cooker boiled peanuts. Hints of green apple. Overall very temperamental. And the initial citrus hit never returned.
- Palate: A swift uppercut! Hot but strangely not raw. Young and rather thin on the palate. We did speculate on this being a high strength bottling. Again just like the nose the heat faded quickly! Very little mouthfeel. Volatile. Bitter cereals, tannic and spirit driven. A very muted development. With water it turned more bitter. Some faint banana and herbal notes. We couldn’t quite place this spirit either in terms of its flavour profile or geography.
- Finish: There was none! We were all unanimous on that.
- Nose: Flashes of apple with hints of vanilla and honey over a distinctively Irish Pot Still base
- Taste: Gently spiced with a burst of ginger and butterscotch with background notes of toasted oak
- Finish: Long, elegant finish with subtle notes of milk chocolate and almonds
Writers Tears whiskies are a combination of unspecified Irish pot still and Irish single malt, triple distilled and aged in ex-bourbon casks.
This bottle was sampled blind, opened in September 2017 in Mumbai for this tasting. It can be found online at the Celtic Whisky Shop for €150.00.
The 2014 edition all appears to be sold out/discontinued on Master of Malt, however The Whisky Exchange still has the 2015 (2100 bottles at $151) & 2016 (2640 bottles at $151) available.
This may be a cask where variation between the years makes a difference. What was stellar one year becomes merely average another year or – gasp! – even a disappointment.
Whiskies sampled in September 2017 by our original club included:
- Writers Tears 2013 Cask Strength 53%
- Springbank 12 year (June 2016) Burgandy 53.5%
- Springbank 12 year (Jan 2017) Cask Strength 54.2%
You can also find Whisky Lady in India on:
- FaceBook Whisky Lady in India – https://www.facebook.com/WhiskyLadyIN
- Twitter @WhiskyLadyIN