Our Whisky Ladies evening closed with a Kentucky bourbon and chocolate – how fitting! This was a completely unplanned enthusiastic “I just so happen to have this great bourbon!” addition to our tasting!
The folks over at Willett (aka Kentucky Bourbon Distillers) claim a family history that harkens back to John David Willett (born in 1841) who was part of the master distiller for the Moore, Willett & Frenke Distillery. However, truth be told, these folks have actually only recently re-entered the distilling game in 2012, having stopped operations in the 1980s.
It is speculated that this particular whisky may actually be a product of Heaven Hill Distilleries – the folks that produce Elijah Craig amongst many others – using copper stills with only a pot still used for the doubler stage. Confused much?
All that matters to the Whisky Ladies is what we thought when we sampled it…
- Nose – Well hello bourbon! Nice herbs, bubblegum sweet, slight mustiness too
- Palate – Nice warm bourbon. some nuts, honey…
- Finish – Great finish – a bit spicy
This was a bourbon that cried out for a cube of ice! When added? Voila! Lots of bright floral elements – overall just made it fab, Fab, FAB!!
And what do the Willett folks have to say about this whiskey?
- Nose – Floral notes – jasmine and orange blossom, ginger, cinnamon with lots of bananas when water is added
- Palate – Lemon, black tea, butterscotch, charcoal, citrus, nutty, honey. With water added – bananas and milk chocolate
- Finish – Medium length, eucalyptus, herbal, rye, spicy, pepper, barber’s shop…with water added, light toffee & pecans
Very floral on the nose with wonderful citrus notes; more citrus on the palate with loads of honey & then turning quite herbal on the finish. An incredibly different and inviting array of aromas & flavors when water is added!
What else did we sample that “risky whisky” evening?
- Brenne Estate Cask 40%
- AWA (Authentique Whisky Alsacien) Pinot Noire 42%
- Virgil Kaine 2016 Ashcat 45.6%
- Auchentoshan 40 year 41.2%
You can also find Whisky Lady in India on: