Our Whisky Ladies in Mumbai are a merry lot and so if one of our members has a birthday, that naturally demands a small celebration… and cake… chocolate of course!
While our host made from scratch this luscious number… adorned with flowers for a fanciful flourish.
Our birthday lass decided we needed a treat…Zacapa 23 Sistema Solera.
Now there are rums and then there are rums!
From Guatemala, it is called ‘solera’ for the system used to blend the rum. No simple affair here, it is matured in a mix of bourbon and sherry casks… Unlike whisky where the age depicted is the youngest found, for rum it is the oldest. Hence Zacapa 23 does indeed contain SOME 23 year old rum, however is known to be a range from 6 to 23 year.
Here’s what they say about the Zacapa 23:
- Keynote – Wonderfully intricate with honeyed butterscotch, spiced oak and raisined fruit, showcasing the complexity of the sistema solera ageing process.
- Appearance – Light mahogany, with the tones of long barrel ageing at the rim and long, slow legs clinging to the glass.
- Nose – A soft start which develops complexity in the glass; sweet aromas of caramel, vanilla, cacao and butterscotch, combining with layers of flavour indicative of the different barrels in the solera process; sherried notes of caramelised, roasted brazil nuts and toasted hazelnut, and the characteristic rounded toffeed banana and dried pineapple of ex-American whiskey casks.
- Palate – Wonderfully complex, generous and full-bodied, with a sweet honeyed viscosity atypical of an aged spirit; a great depth of raisined fruit and apricot preserves, building to an intense heart of savoury oak, nutmeg, leather and tobacco with notes of coffee and delicately sweet vanilla, balanced with a spicy touch of cinnamon and ginger on the pleasantly astringent finish; truly a rum for the discerning palate.
We didn’t even pretend to make tasting notes, simply enjoyed its sweet chocolatey, slightly smoky molasses nutty delights.
Here’s what else we sampled that evening Whisky Ladies Like Labels:
Related posts Beyond Whisky:
- Caorunn’s Gin
- Chinese Baijiu
- Tapatio Excelencia Gran Reserva Extra Anejo Tequila
- Transforming common gin to uncommon delight
You can also find Whisky Lady in India on: