At any whisky fair, there is usually one absolutely unforgettable whisky that stands out! At the 2022 London Whisky Show, this Rosebank was my personal “dream dram.”
From the moment it splashed into my glass, it was magic! And I kept only the Rosebank in my tasting glass from that point onwards, redirecting any additional tasting to my companion’s glass.
So what was it about this lost Lowland?
Rosebank 21 year “True Love” 55.1% (Elixir)
- Colour – Gold
- Nose – Absolutely beautiful, floral, mandarin oranges, honey
- Palate – Nuanced and complex, a lovely balance of light milky chocolate with a hint of spice, simply marvelous
- Finish – Carried through
Exquisite! The nose was absolutely captivating! For the next hour or so as we wandered through other explorations… I kept coming back to the entrancing aromas of the Rosebank, leaving just a couple sips til the very end.
As the sun set… I drained the last drop by the Thames and considered it a proper close to a brilliant Whisky event.
What do the folks at The Whisky Exchange / Elixir have to say about this bottle?
This first release from the Rosebank Roses series is composed solely of bourbon-cask-matured whisky. It displays all the sublime fruity character for which Rosebank is famed.
The Rosebank Roses series has been created by Elixir Distillers, which previously operated under the name Speciality Drinks Ltd.
- Nose; Crisp and sweet apples mix with honeysuckle, barley sugar, cough candy and vanilla toffee.
- Palate: Oaky spice and liquorice root lead to white grapes, vanilla cream and chilli-spiced white chocolate.
- Finish; Peppery spice fades to leave orchard fruit more white chocolate and grassy notes.
Would I agree with the tasting notes? Certainly… Even more remarkable, two days later, the empty glass was exceptional – a joyful perfume….. It was one of those once-in-a-lifetime experiences that I’m very grateful for!
Is it still possible to purchase it? Yes! If you happen to have a mere GBP 15,000 lying around. Yowza! I knew it would be pricey but was completely unaware of just how rarified it has become!
My thoughts turned to an earlier Rosebank 21-year, sampled from an open bottle in Winnipeg at The Cabinet meeting in 2016. At that time, I was astounded to learn the bottle was auctioning for US$650. Fast forward 6 years and you might be lucky to find a similar bottle for US$2,000! Oh my!
This just proves my point – dream drams are just that – beautiful near-mythical creatures you rarely encounter and so appreciate those magical malty moments for what they are – dreams.
If you don’t want to miss a post, why not follow Whisky Lady on:
- WordPress https://whiskylady.co/
- FaceBook Whisky Lady India – https://www.facebook.com/WhiskyLadyIN
- Twitter @WhiskyLadyIN