It was a tale of two tasting groups… our marvellous Bombay Malt & Cigar gents and our fabulous Whisky Ladies. Once upon a time we would combine annually – alternating who would host the whiskies. Our last gathering was in January 2020 before the scourge of COVID ravaged our world.
However it has been impossible or rather imprudent to think of having such a gathering even as Mumbai enjoys a wee breath of respite between waves. So instead, I suggested two small separate gatherings, sharing some of the same drams.
For both, I decided to take a ‘traditional’ Scottish bent…
With our Bombay Malt & Cigar gents, we explored:
- Glentauchers 8 year (2005 / 2013) 48.2% (Sansibar) – A wee birthday gift to myself from 2017
- Balblair 18 year 46% – A birthday gift from the gents to me nearly two years ago
- Glenrothes 18 year Elders’ Reserve 43% – Not a birthday gift, but a treat bought in 2016 kept aside for a special occasion
- Speyside Blended 45 year (1973/2019) Sherry Cask 45.1% – Augmented by a birthday gift from us to our host
Then came the 2nd part with the Whisky Ladies of Mumbai… for it I had set aside another gift to join the Glentauchers and Balbair, leaving the Glenrothes behind for our host:
- Macallan Estate Reserve 45.7% – Another birthday gift for my 50th!
Given August was also when we started the Whisky Ladies, there was another reason to celebrate our 6th anniversary – how quickly time flies! Not with our usual format of each bringing whatever enjoyable open bottle lies at home for a merry exchange. And no group photo either as we kept in our socially distanced seating.
For those ladies who wished to join but were on the waitlist, a third evening was arranged – a month later – with samples brought back to Europe for two ladies there joined by a couple in Mumbai… because why not?
So there you have it – after a long time – evenings of celebrations with classic Scottish drams.
And if you don’t want to miss a post, why not follow Whisky Lady on:
- WordPress https://whiskylady.co/
- FaceBook Whisky Lady in India – https://www.facebook.com/WhiskyLadyIN
- Twitter @WhiskyLadyIN
Additionally, there are the two ‘off-shoots’ with:
- Whisky Ladies of Mumbai blog with the continuing adventures of the lovely ladies in India
- Whisky Ladies European chapter insta with our new explorations in colder climes!