The Dalmore was the ONLY Scottish whisky in the Vita Dulcis 2020 International Whisk(e)y Advent Calendar… really!
I didn’t mind revisiting one of their core expressions. In this case – the 12 year.
Scotland – The Dalmore 12 year 40%
- Colour – Golden caramel
- Nose – Slightly doughy, once the yeasty element settled down, the cherry sherry quality, rum raisins, figs, plum cake, sweet spices
- Palate – A spicy bite to warm things up, clear sherry stamp, and is that marmalade? Yup!
- Finish – Light but lingers, slightly bitter
- Water? Honestly, didn’t even try
Overall, not a bad dram with a sherry flourish!
What do we know? It spent most of its 12 years maturing in ex-bourbon casks then finished in Oloroso sherry.
Distillery official tasting notes?
- Nose : Citrus fruits, chocolate and aromatic spices
- Taste : Seville oranges, dried fruits and hints of vanilla pod
- Finish : Roasted coffee and dark chocolate
Would I agree? Overall, yes.
Obviously this wasn’t my 1st Dalmore! Here are a few other expressions that made it into tasting notes…
If you don’t want to miss a post, why not follow Whisky Lady on: