Yushan is the new brand for Taiwan’s Nantou Distillery whiskies – currently available with three expressions – an ex-bourbon, ex-sherry and this blended malt.
I will admit I’ve tried none from Nantou before now… and frankly bought it on a whim!
Yushan Blended Malt 40%
- Colour – Light gold
- Nose – Apples and pears, then gosh! That pineapple is sooo pronounced! A nice tangy sharpness, a dash of sweet spices, honey and hay
- Palate – A touch of spice, light and a bit citrusy, followed by a malty
- Finish – Light spice chased by a bitter close
It isn’t a spectacular dram however it isn’t bad either. Something uncomplicated to enjoy on a summers evening.
Here are tasting notes from the chaps over at Master of Malts have this to say:
- Nose: Sultana, pineapple chunks, thyme honey and some spicy nutmeg.
- Palate: Creamy vanilla and tangy orange, joined by rounded malt and buttery biscuit.
- Finish: Coffee bean, orange again and a slightly floral hint lingering right at the end.
I picked this one up from Master of Malt for €37.36 when they were still able to ship to Germany.
Til date, all other brushes with whisky from Taiwan was exclusively with Kavalan:
- Kavalan Classic Single Malt 40%, Mar’18
- Kavalan Concertmaster Port Cask Finish 40%, Revisit
- Kavalan Sherry Oak 46%
- Kavalan Solist Bourbon Cask B101124001A, Bottle 102/230 58.6%
- Kavalan Solist Brandy Cask AO90709055 Bottle 052/281 55.6%
- Kavalan Solist Peaty Cask R091214006A Bottle No 043/137 54.8%
- Kavalan Solist Port Cask 0090728014A Bottle 188/205 58.6%
- Kavalan Solist Sherry Cask S1001200358, Bottle No 025/507 57.8%
- Kavalan Solist Fino Sherry Cask FI1007070264 Bottle 441/575 57%
- Kavalan Solist Vinho Barrique W120727102A Bottle 213/231 57.1%
- Kavalan at Whisky Live Singapore 2016
Don’t want to miss any posts? Why not follow Whisky Lady on: