We all have certain distilleries we know and love. And others that past experiences influence perceptions – understandably. For my tasting companion, Glenrothes has been more of a disappointment than reward. Whereas for me – I’ve had more positives than negatives.
Glenrothes (1992/2016) Cask 1 Lustau Sherry Finish 55.3%
- Colour – Gold
- Nose – Sour, sweet, sweet leather, fibrous, malt mash, tarter, rubharbh.. After 1st sip, musty, talcum… the 2nd sip salty sour plums…
- Palate – Full flavoured, we loved the tartness, chewy, evolving salt and sour, sherry yum
- Finish – Dry, tart, then a flat burn
- Water – Brushfire then spice and plums, less sour, more orange oils, with a spicy fruit finish
We initially thought this is a great early evening dram! Most enjoyable and a good contrast to the Edradours and BenRiachs we earlier sampled.
So we set it aside, returning to find it slightly pungent, shifting between sweet, sour, chaat masala with delicious mixed berries.
What do the folks at Master of Malt have to say?
A delicious release from the Glenrothes Wine Merchant’s Collection range (each of which has been finished in different types of cask from top producers). This whisky was finished in a cask that was previously home to tasty Lustau Sherry! A release of 648 bottles.
Tasting Note by The Chaps at Master of Malt
- Nose: Sticky toffee pudding, raisins and plums.
- Palate: Citrus begins to develop on the palate (perhaps lemon drizzle cake). Soon joined by dark chocolate.
- Finish: White grapes, orange peels.
While it is now sold out, it went for approximately $200.
We also sampled these four more drams in our minis evening?
- Edradour Fairy Flag 15 year 46%
- Edradour 17 year (1999) Bordeaux Cask Finish 55.2%
- BenRiach 12 year 43%
- BenRiach 22 year Moscatel 46% (SMSW)
Curious about other Glenrothes experiences?
- 9 year “Riding a duck bareback up Mount Etna” (6 June 2007) 64.5% (SWMS 30.94)
- 20 year (Oct 1996/Oct 2016) 54.6% (North Star Series 001)
- 20 year (1995/2018) Sherry Butt Cask #909700 52.8% (LMdW Artist #8)
- 21 year Minister’s Reserve 43%
- Manse Reserve 43%
Interested in catching more? Why not follow Whisky Lady on:
- WordPress https://whiskylady.co/
- FaceBook Whisky Lady in India – https://www.facebook.com/WhiskyLadyIN
- Twitter @WhiskyLadyIN