The Longmorn distillery has an interesting history – after building Glenlossie, John Duff founded Longmorn near Elgin in 1893, part of the Speyside region. He then went on to set-up nearby the BenRiach distillery too. What is also notable is Masataka Taketsuru, the man behind Nikka whiskies did a stint at Longmorn in 1920.
Today part of Pernod Ricard’s Chivas Holdings, it produces the official Longmorn 16 year bottle plus can be found in a collection of independent expressions like this one. The rest of Longmorn’s production lends a sweet, deeply fruity element to blends.
This 25 year old Longmorn graced our “Dubai Dream Drams” evening as the 4th whisky sampled…
Longmorn 25 year (1988/2014) Cask 14384 46% (Berry’s Bro)
- Nose – What a nose! It immediately greeted us with ripe tropical fruits…. it really was sooooo fruity! Then shifted into an eggnog rich sweetness
- Palate – While no doubt the fruits remained, they were joined by deeper notes – including speculation about a hint of peat, plus continuing our theme of the evening we also pronounced it “buttery”
- Finish – Long, lovely
In truth, the scant scribbled notes I took that evening did not do justice to this whisky. It was truly quite superb in a class of its own. Sweet, substance and one to savour.
As for what they shared on the bottle?
The name Longmorn is said to derive from an old Scottish word meaning “place of the holy man”. Produced near Elgin, this malt whisky is high respected for its smooth, complex full character and heady bouquet.
The primary aromas give peach skins, tropical fruits and honey. There is some underlying grapefruit and pineapple to enliven the nose. The palate offers a creamy texture with abundant fruit and some white chocolate notes cut by a little spice.
As for other Longmorn encounters? Read on…
Here are a few more remarkable drams our Dubai host generously shared that evening:
- Midleton Very Rare (2011) No 042585 L121731255 40%
- SMWS G10.10 “Busy buzzing bees” 38 years (23 Nov 1977) 49.6%
- Old Pulteney 17 year 46%
- Kilchoman Sherry (2007/2013) Cask 447/2007 59.5%
- SMWS 29.229 “Harmonious balance” 19 year (13 May 1998) 55.2%
Want even more Whisky Lady posts? Follow this blog on:
- WordPress https://whiskylady.co/
- FaceBook Whisky Lady in India – https://www.facebook.com/WhiskyLadyIN
- Twitter @WhiskyLadyIN
Longmorn’s a great distillery! I just had two lovely single cask Longmorns from The SMWS in a tasting last week. Good stuff, for sure!
Lucky you! 🙂
LikeLiked by 1 person
We had this at the first Dubai Whiskey Night massed Annual gathering just before Xmas. Superb dram!
What a treat that must have been! I wish I had a chance to re-visit it. 🙂
Hi Carissa. You’ve welcome to come along one of the nights.
I can send the format.
Hi David. That is really so kind and would love to take you up on the offer! Alas unlikely as I’m now mostly based in Nurnberg, India so it isn’t quite the same “hop” over from Mumbai to Dubai it once was…
Hi Carissa. That its not…better air miles though!