At Whisky Live Singapore 2018 there were many La Maison du Whisky exclusive bottles…. No surprise given who organized the event!
I tried the Clynelish and Glenburgie side-by-side in the VIP room…
The Glenburgie was selected by Florian Were for the 50th anniversary of La Maison du Whisky which was started on 20 rue d’Anjou, part of their Whisky Chronicles series.
Glenburgie (1995/2018) Cask #6542 55.6% (LMdW 20 rue d’Anjou) Limited 221 Bottles
- Nose – Light and bright, some lovely fruits – particularly peaches and apples
- Palate – Warm and comforting, tropical fruits and a hint of leafy tobacco
- Finish – Beautiful and long with a lovely spice and hint of cocoa
Even though I only had a wee nip, it was utterly delightful and certainly a style I appreciate. I would have loved an opportunity to come back for more of this…
Clynelish (1997/2017) Cask #6922 55.8% (LMdW)
- Nose – Lovely light crisp fruits like apples and pears, nicely fresh
- Palate – The aromas follow through on the palate, dripping with honey and fruits
- Finish – A bit of spice, more than expected given how initially delicate and light it was on the palate
Again, easy and accessible with enough character to make you pay attention. Incredibly balanced and deceptive as didn’t come across as cask strength.
What an enjoyable pair… both were simply unique bottles to sample and not available for purchase. Clocking in around 23 and 20 year for single casks at cask strength, this was clearly a case of trying “once” not more…. however if you do come across either and enjoy lighter more nuanced styles, take advantage of the opportunity!
Want even more Whisky Lady posts? Follow this blog on:
- WordPress https://whiskylady.co/
- FaceBook Whisky Lady in India – https://www.facebook.com/WhiskyLadyIN
- Twitter @WhiskyLadyIN