There are no official tasting notes available however this particular bottle was personally recommended by TWE’s owner Sukhinder Singh and an easy pick given how much I’ve enjoyed Ledaig’s sampled til date.
Ledaig 12 year (5 Feb 2004/29 Aug 2016) Cask 1030, 327 Bottles 58.1% (SMSW)
What did the ladies think?
- Nose – We were immediately greeted with peat, then brine – making us imagine sea swept coasts, there was a wildness to it, stormy weather and bold character… even as it opened revealing marmite, fruit, apple pear, herbs and more with even a hint of heather, it retained a robust quality
- Palate – One spoke of fresh oysters, another of steak tartare, the herbal quality on the nose followed through on the palate, there was also a lovely cinnamon spice with black pepper, yet all combined in a very smooth, balanced dram
- Finish – Such a long finish, continuing to reward with peat and sweet spice with that slightly salty briney dimension too
I’ve enjoyed Ledaig’s bold peaty character before yet this was clearly a top notch cask – remarkably silky smooth and clean with no harsh or brash qualities even at full cask strength. No need to add water but also lovely with too.
A 12-year-old Ledaig, the peated whisky from Tobermory on the Isle of Mull, from The Single Malts Of Scotland. This was distilled in 2004 and bottled in August 2016 from a hogshead. I picked it up from The Whisky Exchange in London in June 2017, under the owner Sukhinder Singh’s guidance for GBP 64. It was opened from a fresh bottle in July 2017.
What else did we sample in our single cask, cask strength evening?
- Glen Moray 8 year 251 Bottles 57.8% (SMSW)
- Arran 14 year (16 Dec 2000/7 Aug 2015) Barrel 2000/1106 Bottle 185/197 55.5% (TWE)
Each whisky sampled that evening was unique, quality and well worth sampling.
- Arran Port Cask 50% + Arran Amarone Cask 50%
- Ledaig 16 year (1997/2013) 46% (G&MP)
- Glen Moray 21 year (1991/2013) Cask No 9980 46% (Douglas)
- Whisky Ladies Cask Strength Diwali – Glenfarclas 105 60%, Chichibu 2009 63.1%, A’bunadh 35 60.3%
You can also find Whisky Lady in India on: