After the absolutely stunning Glen Grant 60 year, dangerously drinkable Bowmore 12 distilled in the 1970s, the peculiar The Prestonfield Vintage 1972 Bowmore 16, we shifted gears to a meatier sherry style whisky from Adelphi‘s single cask bottling of Glen Garioch.
Glen Garioch 17 year (1996-2016) Cask No 3730 55.7% (Adelphi) 152 bottles
- Nose – Top note of varnish, orange cream cookies or that fanta fizz, citrus zest, sweet honey, clove, a teasing nose that later revealed a musty quality – in a good way
- Palate – Spicy, old style wood, sweet spice orange like clove studded oranges at Christmas, an almost brandy-like quality, red and green stewed apples, a dash of cocoa, continued to evolve taking on a meaty quality like a quality wagyu steak
- Finish – Lovely chewy dates
There was a nicely mature quality to this dram, exceedingly smooth and no sense of it being full strength at 55.7%. A lovely sherry quality, more in keeping with what we normally expect – and that’s a mighty fine thing indeed!
What else did we sample in our Krishna Collection from July 2017?
- Glen Grant 60 year (14 Oct 1950 – 22 Nov 2010), CS No 2750, 2760 40%
- Bowmore 12 year (1970s – 80s) 40%
- Bowmore 16 year “The Prestonfield” Vintage 1972 (28 Feb 1972 – 1988), CS No 1036-39 43%
- Caol Ila 36 year (1980-2016) 52.3% (Cadenheads)
- Laphroaig 19 year (Oct 1996-Feb 2016) Cask No 10720 53.9% (Old Particular)
You can also find Whisky Lady in India on: