Next up in our Bowmore travel trilogy was another NAS – Gold Reef.
This particular bottle was acquired on my partner‘s trip to Beirut, Lebanon on behalf of our host – a fellow theatre actor. Since last year we have impatiently waited for an opportunity to bring our trilogy together…
And what did the Whisky Ladies think?
Bowmore Gold Reef 43%
- Nose – Treacle, apple, summery caramel, toasted coconut, marzipan, with tropical fruits. As it opened, particularly after sipping, a delicious maple syrup joined some peat with sweet vanilla and hint of spice
- Palate – Peat, citrus, heat, bitter chocolate, a bit of dry wood
- Finish – The heat opens up revealing honey sweet, cinnamon then after a few more sips settles into a bitter finish
We found it very inviting on the nose, the palate was such a contrast – in a good way. The finish remains.
Here is what the Bowmore folks have to say about this whisky:
Further out to sea and deep beneath the waves lies Gold Reef. Named for the way the glow of the sun’s rays reflect off the coral seabed, this same old catches the eye inside every bottle of Gold Reef. Predominately matured in 1st fill ex-bourbon casks, it rewards with notes of smooth vanilla, citrus fruits and sea salt.
- Nose: Vanilla, coconut milk, delicious baked peach, oranges and lemons
- Taste: Tangy peat, pineapple, juicy mango and kiwi fruit tempered by sea salt and olive oil
- Finish: The long, honeyed, zesty finish
Not so sure about the kiwi fruit or olive oil but certainly the balance is more or less what we found!
You can also find Whisky Lady in India on: