Glengoyne is one of those well regarded distilleries with a distinctive sherry berry quality.
Our original Mumbai whisky tasting group has sampled both a 12 and 21 year during sessions I either missed (or missed taking notes). I did encounter a Glengoyne 21 year at an ‘adult whisky evening‘ however it was curiously off, so likely not representative.
For our October session, our host was careful to ensure that while we may have sampled Glengoyne whiskies previously, what we opened that evening would be a different age statement than we had tasted together before.
As usual, we sampled blind before the reveal…
- Nose – Subdued sherry, strong yet light (yes it sounds like a contradiction but true!), berries, hint of orange cake or apple crisp
- Palate – Pungent, bitter orange marmalade, decent mouthfeel, good body, smooth, some sweet spice, quite delicious
- Finish – Nice and pleasant
Overall we found this whisky very accessible, good aromas and gave the impression of being not fully sherry but perhaps a mix of 1st fill sherry with other casks, nicely rounding out the elements so the sherry dimension was not overpowering or too intense. In short, it was sherry but… not. Which worked!
For those of us who drained to the last drop (seemed to be all!), we were impressed by the excellent aromas remaining in the empty Glencairn glass.
For most, this was the whisky of the night!
Here is what the folks at Glengoyne have to say:
Spicy vanilla fruit, ripe apples and a rich, luxurious mouthfeel. This is the result of eighteen long years and a generous proportion of first-fill sherry casks.
- Nose – Awash with red apple and ripe melon. Heavenly and well rounded, it drifts into hot porridge topped with brown sugar.
- Taste – Full bodied, round and rich. At first macerated fruits, marzipan and walnuts; then warm spices, dry cocoa and lingering Seville marmalade.
- Finish – Long, warm and dry.
What was particularly interesting is Glengoyne sharing their cask recipe which is:
- 35% 1st Fill European Oak Sherry
- 15% 1st Fill American Oak Sherry
- 50% Hand-selected quality Oak Refill casks
What else did we try in our October session?
Related tasting sessions:
- Irish night with Connemara (BMC + Whisky Ladies)
- Glenlivet quartet – 12, 15, 18 & 21 year (Original)
- Glenlivet Master Distillers Reserve NAS 40% (Whisky Ladies)
- Adult whiskies with Glengoyne (BMC)
You can also find Whisky Lady in India on: