The folks over at Diageo describe Dailuaine as a “A complex whisky that can impress mightily.” Considered a Diageo ‘workhorses’, the distillery name is taken from the gaelic ‘dail uaine’ meaning green valley.
However you won’t often find this whisky outside of independent bottlers. Currently there is only the Dailuaine 16 year, part of the Flora and Fauna series, available as an official bottling.
Dailuaine 10 year (2002/2013) 46%
We sampled it blind… and what did we find?
- Nose – Cherry, prunes, soaked rum, very dense, tight with concentrated aromas, wood, leather book, dry spice, apple, pungent, sweet
- Palate – Very full, creamy, rounded…. pronounced “a proper whisky”, black chewy liquorice, oily fat and full, gorgeous Christmas spices, cupcakes, coffee, toffee, a hint of toasted nuts
- Finish – Such a lovely finish, rich spice with more coffee, liquorice, cinnamon. One of those rare finishes that just keeps on keeping you company for a long time… where a little goes a long way
- Water – Caution… don’t add too much. Just a drop brings out more toffee coffee chocolate. A few more and muddles the magic.
This one took time to fully open up and reveal all its secrets. A completely sinful desert so rich that just a small spoonful satisfies.
- “Stop teasing and lift the veil pretty please?”
- “One sip is nearly enough!”
As a Gordon & MacPhail bottling exclusive for La Maison du Whisky, you won’t find tasting notes online however the bottle noted:
- Nose – Subtle sherry influences with stewed apple, cinnamon and a hint of eucalyptus
- Palate – Mild spices with green apple, orange and grapefruit flavours, Becomes creamy with a liquorice edge
- Finish – Medium in length with fruit elements
In describing drams from this distillery, Diageo shares:
This is not just an after dinner dram, it’s an after-dinner mood in a liquid. Thick, rich yet pleasantly, palate-cleansingly sweet. Try Dailuaine whisky with the cheese course, or just nose the cheese rind, fruit and citrus aromas hidden in its depths.
Would we agree? Yes. It was a wonderful close to our experimental evening that also featured:
- Glenmorangie 10 year 40% – ‘Greedy angels experiment’
- Wolfburn (Batch No 1) 40%
- Dailuaine (2002/2013) Cask No 7068, Bottle No 382 46% G+MP for LMdW (this post)
You can also find Whisky Lady (in India) on: