After an expedition with Shackleton, our blind tasting sailed off in a different direction…. This time to the Isle of Mull with Tobermory…. Here is what we found…
Tobermory 15 years 46.3%
- Colour – Dark gold or copper
- Nose – Copper, spice, sulfur, chawanprash, herbal spice, salty brine, peanuts, leather couch, round, polished yet piquant, seems like it may be thick and oily, almost like marmite… After sipping became quite honey sweet
- Palate – Sweet, then spice like a brushfire, hard to pinpoint the cask influence – almost like muscatel, dry, a delicious honey sweet, velvety, silky toffee with a decent mouthfeel
- Finish – Bit of spice, bitter end…
- Water – Spices go way up, looses the mouthfeel, just don’t
Not complex, just sweet, no depth, a single track character however the more you sip, the more it grows on you. Truly – it was one where you found your hand unconsciously reaching back for more… We also struggled to assess the cask – it seems like it was bourbon with a sherry finish or something else.
And with the reveal?
Aha! From the Isle of Mull, Tobermory is a distillery we’ve inadequately explored and tended towards the peaty Ledaig variant. It seems it was matured in Gonzalez Byass Oloroso sherry casks, however wasn’t clear if this was for a finish alone or not.
Here is what they have to say:
- Nose: A lovely sherried nose with notes of figs, orange marmalade, hints of leather and a touch of smoke.
- Palate: Medium to full bodied. Rich sherry fruit cake, milk chocolate, creamy toffee, light oak, a hint of white pepper creating a lovely spicy tang.
- Finish: Softly spicy, tingling with a nutty note, a hint of salt, lingering then gently fades.
After the exuberant packaging of the Shackleton, the photo and card with the Tobermory seemed tame. The wooden carrier, with a carving of the Isle of Mull was a nice touch.
What all did we try in our explorers evening?
- Mackinlay’s Rare Old Highland Malt Shackleton “The Journey” 47.3%
- Tobermory 15 years 46.3% (This post)
- Highland Park Valhalla Series “Thor” 16 year 52.1%
You can also find Whisky Lady in India on: