Here’s what we found…
Glen Garioch Founder’s Reserve 48%
- Colour – Pale straw
- Nose – Floral bouquet, medicinal, moss, blue cheese, fungal element, sea scent, tamarind
- Palate – Smooth, fresh pudina (mint), spice, pepper, bold, hint of citrus, delightfully complex
- Finish – Lingers, spice, complexity remains
- Water – Adding a dash of water doesn’t kill but equally did not enhance, however it did make the wet forest scent even more pronounced.
A clear favourite! The variation found in the nose followed through in the taste and finish. A very fine dram indeed!
If this is what the whisky makers were up to in 1797, then it is a mighty fine recipe and well worth being reincarnated in the ‘Founders Reserve’. Without hesitation, our merry malt tasters concluded it is one we hope to repeat, stock, savour and enjoy!
As you can gather, back in 1797 in the Highlands of Aberdeen, Glen Garioch distillery opened its doors. This no age statement whisky takes its inspiration from those early days and is part of their staple offerings.
- Nose – Warm amber in appearance, sweet vanilla and subtle spice combine with fruitier green apple and grapefruits on the nose.
- Palate – Butter cream and vanilla pave the way to fruity green apple skin and citrus cleanliness, leading to an elegant and subtle finish.
Read more about the distillery’s history here.
You can also find Whisky Lady in India on: