The Irish whisky industry is going through a resurgence with a combination of new distilleries and brands – some with distilleries ‘to be’. Hyde describes their approach as:
At HYDE, we carefully hand select only the very finest Irish whiskey, made by only the very best Irish whiskey distilleries, which we then finish in vintage oak casks which we source directly from distilleries and bodegas around the world.
I had the pleasure of meeting a couple gents from Hyde back in 2017 during an exploratory trip to Mumbai. They kindly sent a bottle of their No 6 – back in the day when it was possible to ship liquor from other parts of the world to India. I also had an opportunity to briefly sample this expression No 5 in a special speed tasting experiment.
I was curious to see how that quick memory from three years ago compared with the miniature in the Vita Dulcis 2020 Advent Calendar.
Ireland – Hyde No 5 “The Aras” Burgundy Cask Finish 46% – Single Grain Whiskey
- Nose – Initially a touch sharp with spice, then a bit of vanilla and faint fruits
- Palate – Starts a bit spice, roasted wood, apples
- Finish – Again – quite spicy
i checked my notes from my previous ‘speed taste’ – was quite similar. In both cases, there was nothing that really stood out and the burgundy influence was hardly discernible.
What do the Hyde folks have to say about this expression?
Hyde No.5 is a triple distilled, Single grain, Irish whiskey from one single distillery location. Originally distilled in a traditional “Coffey” Copper Column still from pure Corn / maize grain.
Matured for a minimum of 6 years in flame charred, first fill, ex-bourbon casks from Kentucky in the U.S.A. before being ‘finished’ for a further 6 months in vintage BURGUNDY French red wine casks.
These Pinot Noir red wine casks come from the BURGUNDY region of France from the Côte d’Or vineyards near Dijon, France.
What about the Hyde team’s official tasting notes?
- Nose : Spiced with notes of red berry fruit, vanilla, and toasted oak.
- Taste : A creamy nutty palette entry with notes of sweet custard, apple peel, red berries and orange blossom honey.
- Finish : A nice long satisfying finish of plum, jam and spice ending with a silky combination of oak and barley
As for my earlier encounters with Hyde? Just the two:
- Hyde No 5 “The Aras” Single Grain Burgandy Finish 46% – Same expression, sampled in 2017
- Hyde No 6 President’s Reserve 8 year single grain + 18 year single malt 46%
If you don’t want to miss a post, why not follow Whisky Lady on: