The weather in London while we’ve been here has been absolutely stunning – glorious sunshine, warm breeze… in short it feels like full blown summer instead of being mid September.
So it is somehow fitting that our Chinese New Year tasting set had a few more summery drams – with this Speyside clearly very much in keeping with our environment.
Speyside #3 8 year 50.7%, Batch 1
- Nose – Started with a bit of resin, restrained orchard fruits – mostly pears, hint of ginger… in short delicious! Fresh and juicy, then stewed fruits… light liquorice, then shifting back into fresh pear then stewed apricot – wonderful!
- Palate – Peppercorns, fruity with a lovely nice mouthfeel, pears and apple crumble then shifting into melons, then a lightly bitter edge
- Finish – Lovely long finish – fantastic! Imagine apricot leather – yum!
Like all the whiskies in this particular tasting set, we didn’t even think of adding water. However I did wonder later if that might bright out even more juicy fruits. This was my favourite of the evening, followed by the Glenburgie.
And here are the tasting notes included with our Drinks by the Dram package:
- Nose – Lots of new make character, fruity cherry and peach notes with grassy vegetal flavours
- Palate – Fiery alcohol, very peppery, but tempered by some sweet notes, green banana, and a creamy texture
- Finish – More spice, lingering taste of Thai green curry
Here are other whiskies in That Boutique-y Whisky Company Chinese New Year Quintet:
- Teaninich 11 year 47.9%, Batch 2
- Glenburgie 8 year 55.2%, Batch 5
- Linkwood 10 year 48.2%, Batch 7
- Auchroisk 12 year 47.9%, Batch 7
If you don’t want to miss a post, why not follow Whisky Lady on: