Years ago I cracked open my old whisky cabinet with intent to share and empty “dram dregs” with our newly formed Mumbai whisky club and friends. It was a most enjoyable evening and while we didn’t polish off all the bottles, we certainly made a dent!
So when I managed to free up the Friday evening before flying off to Nuremberg for the big move to Germany, the BEST way to enjoy was to invite a little assistance to “save” a few bottles from oxidation further in Mumbai’s far from ideal storage conditions.
Everything that was open came out of the whisky cabinet without exception!
Tasting stations were setup with:
- Experimental & International
- Secret stash
The ex-bourbon‘s proved a popular starting point so several were polished off and only a few remained:
- Even at cask strength, North Star’s MacDuff 11 year was a favoured one to warm up with…
- Another that fit such a bill was the Bruichladdich Laddie 8 at a “mere” 50%
- With the Bruichladdich Bere Barley still having a few drams remaining…
In the Japenese corner we had:
- Hakushu 18 year – The last drops of a favourite whisky that I suspect was open for nearly 10 years (yes you read that correctly)…
- Chita 12 year – From over 4 years ago, it remained exquisitely perfumed, such a delight and quite different than the Chita NAS found these days
- Ichiro’s Houou-uhi – A mythical “Pheonix”… these final drops did not disappoint and reminded me just how exceptional this blend of discontinued Kawasaki and Hanyu malts truly was!
- Remarkably we still had a bit of the Nikka From the Barrel remaining…
And in our peat section?
- We had a Bruichladdich trio with two down and one still to go… from the MP5 series the Port Charlotte 10 year (2005/2016) Bourbon / Bordeaux Cask experiment had only a dram remaining for a special Whisky Lady
- North Star’s Caol Ila 12 year was snapped up and a clear crowd favourite!
While we certainly did not complete our mission of polishing off ALL, we did a very respectable job of making a serious dent with a focus on those quite low with just a few drams.
All told, we emptied 11 bottles.