Our Bourbon explorations continued with Mitcher’s Small Batch Bourbon.
We began sampling it completely blind, to share our impressions without any influences beyond what was in our glass, then had the reveal followed by a brilliant cocktail.
Here is what we found…
Mitcher’s Small Batch Bourbon L16F747 45.7% (91.4 proof)
- Nose – We were welcomed by mandarin oranges, sweet vanilla, jasmine, Cointreau, chocolate, creamy, butter rice, toffee, caramel, Chinese sweet red bean buns, fresh bread
- Palate – Ooh! Very nice spice. Well rounded, has more substance than the FEW bourbon, orange blossoms, cinnamon gum like a Big Red, very smooth, lots of dried fruits
- Finish – Lovely sweet light clove student oranges… long finish
It was universally pronounced “delicious!” A clear favourite of the evening – bringing enough character to make us happy to keep enjoying.
This was followed by an exceedingly good Sazerac… so good that a few even had a repeat!
Something to note about Mitcher’s is their master distiller, Pam Heilmann, was the first woman since Prohibition to serve as Master Distiller at a Kentucky Distillers Association distillery and their Mast of Maturation & Exec VP, Andrea Wilson, was the first woman to ever serve as Chair of the Kentucky Distillers Association.
What do they say about their Small Batch Bourbon?
Michter’s US1 Kentucky Straight Bourbon is made from a carefully selected mashbill that features the highest quality American corn. It is then matured to the peak of perfection. Truly “small batch” each batch of our US1 Kentucky Straight Bourbon is batched in a holding tank sized to fit a maximum of twenty full barrels, leaving no margin for “blending out” imperfection and thus necessitating excellence from every barrel. Reflecting the spirit of the Bluegrass State, Michter’s US1 Kentucky Straight Bourbon is nuanced, mellow and earthy.
Michter’s tasting notes:
- Rich caramel with balanced vanilla, stone fruit notes, smoky depth, with an oak finish.
Our Bourbon trio included:
- FEW Bourbon 46.5% was the base for a rather delicious Manhattan
- Mitcher’s Small Batch 45.7% morphed into a marvellous Sazerac
- Cleveland Underground AP Bourbon Whiskey finished with Apple Wood, Batch 3, 45% frothed into a twist on an Old Fashioned
Want even more Whisky Lady posts? Follow this blog on: