I’m in love with a beautiful woman… and her name is Asyla.
And who exactly is she? Another captivating Compass Box blend…
Asyla was named for the plural of asylum, playing on the word’s ambiguous character – sanctuary or madhouse. John Glazer, whisky maker, waxes poetical about a piece of musical inspiration and reflects on whether whisky, like music, can be an asylum… as he describes his creation:
… for a delicate, comforting yet luminous whisky such as this, one which gently enlivens the sense, I have always felt ASYLA an appropriate name. And I believe our lute-playing minstrel is an appropriate image for this label, depicting that penumbra between ecstasy and serenity.
And what did our Whisky Ladies have to say about Asyla?
- Colour – Pale straw
- Nose – Floral, fruity, exceedingly light, vanilla… in short like a feminine perfume
- Taste – Yummy! Quite delicate, warm, toffee, more vanilla with the lingering floral element, surprisingly ‘thick’ on the tongue, subtle yet with quiet substance
- Finish – Smooth!
- Water? Don’t think anyone tried… perfect as is.
- Overall – Without being insanely sweet, it is like a fluffy desert! Or everyone’s perfect woman in a whisky.
For many, this whisky was the favourite of the evening. A few of us were already massive Compass Box fans, those that weren’t, became converts in the making…
Here is what our note-taker of the evening predicted:
Carissa will probably steal the remainder and snuggle with the bottle for the rest of the evening…
Confession… I did.
Here is what the folks over at Compass Box have to say:
A blend of soft, fruity malt whiskies on a bed of rich, sweet grain whiskies. All whiskies aged in first-fill American oak casks to yield the trademark Compass Box style: soft, rich, vanilla-tinged, delicious. See why this, the lightest of our whiskies, wins the most awards!
For those that want more ‘facts’, Asyla is a blend of single malts from the towns of Alness and Longmorn; single grain whisky from Fife.
However who cares about facts when an achingly lovely lady enters into your life?
The Compass Box sampling suite enjoyed so far include:
- Juveniles 46%
- Great King Street’s Artists Blend 43% (and a sip of the Glasgow Blend too!)
- Spice Tree 46%
- The Peat Monster 46%
From time to time, you can also find other whisky related updates and activities on: